Friday, August 7, 2015

Right-brain philosophy

This video (The Divided Brain) talks about the modern update to the popular but no-longer-sustainable understanding of the differences between the left and right hemispheres.

Assuming the perspective of the video, I take my favorite philosophers to be engaged in the task of bringing right-hemisphere balance to the philosophical conversation. (Particularly, William James, Henri Bergson, and Alfred North Whitehead.) (I suspect that Heidegger was up to something similar, but I understand his work far less well.)

And I think that twentieth-century philosophy can be seen as a story of left-hemisphere counter-insurgency. Positivistic analytic philosophy in the Anglophone sphere. Either structuralism, cynicism, or yet another return to neo-Kantianism in the Continental sphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment